Looking for a tasty treat without the guilt? Have an intolerance to gluten or dairy but want to satisfy that sweet tooth? These chocolate chip cookie bars should definitely be on your ‘to-do’ list.
Recipe inspired by Ambitious Kitchen
Chocolate chip cookies: they’re sweet, delicious, and classic. Unfortunately, they don’t always fall in line with your health and fitness goals. Or, you might be looking for an alternative if you have a dairy or gluten sensitivity.
Fear not, my friends! These chocolate chip cookie bars are absolutely amazing, and definitely stack up against ‘the real thing.’ Plus, they’re made using coconut flour (yay gluten-free!), coconut oil and cashew milk (woo-hoo dairy free), making them an easy choice if you’re dealing with a food intolerance.
Did I mention these are also paleo? Yeah, I got you.
Oh – if you’re unsure about the whole coconut flour thing, don’t be. The taste is surprisingly subtle.
- 1/4 cup cashew milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (honey works, too!)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips, plus extra for drizzle
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8×8 baking pan with coconut oil spray
- In a large bowl, add cashew milk, melted coconut oil, vanilla, eggs and maple syrup and whisk to combine
- In another bowl, whisk the coconut flour, salt and baking soda
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well, until a smooth batter forms
- Fold in chocolate chips and add batter to prepared pan
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until edges are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow the bars to cool completely before cutting into squares
For the chocolate drizzle:
- Place 1/4 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil into a microwave-safe container
- Microwave in 15 second increments until melted
- Drizzle over chocolate chip cookie bars!