I am now extremely thankful that yoga is part of my life. I aim to incorporate a yoga practice into my routine at least once a week. The benefits for my mind and body are outstanding. Quite often, the rest of my week focuses heavily on strength training and cardio. I always stretch at the end of each session, but nothing gets deep into my body like yoga. It feels so good. If you have never tried yoga, I highly recommend it.
There are many benefits to get your kids involved with yoga as well.
7 Great Benefits of Yoga for Kids
1. Children experience many of the same physical benefits adults do from practicing yoga. Yoga strengthens them and helps them become more flexible and coordinated.
2. Yoga for kids also enhances self-awareness. Children who practice yoga learn early on to tune into their bodies. Self esteem is bolstered as the children gain control over their bodies and minds.
3. Yoga for kids enhances imagination and empathy. Children are asked to strike poses from nature. They might assume the pose of a snake, or a tree, or a dog. Then they are asked to imagine what it would be like to be those life forms. In this way, children learn early on to connect with all the life on the planet and realize that similarities far outweigh differences.
4. Yoga teaches children to have fun and move their bodies in a con-competitive environment. Yoga isn’t about being right or wrong, or being best or worst. It is about bringing unity to one’s own life. Children can work together to help each other reach this goal.
5. Yoga for kids teaches self-discipline. As part of the practice of yoga, kids need to slow down, hold certain postures, breathe or think in a certain way. Yoga encourages children to master themselves rather than wait for an adult to control them.
6. Yoga for kids can also be a way to strengthen families. Yoga is an exercise that parents and children and even grandparents can practice and talk about together. As children participate in yoga with their families, they feel closer to their loved ones.
7. Through practicing yoga, children can learn ways to relax and get control of stress in their lives. A child worried about a test, for instance, might use the meditation or breathing techniques of yoga to help her calm down and focus.
Have you ever tried yoga with your kids? Consider trying a mommy/child yoga class or practice together at home.